So I rant, A LOT, about sucralose. But what is it really I am ranting about? Is it just me that doesn’t like it? Is there a reason, like a real medical reason for my rant?
But first, lets see what Splenda has to say.
First they say they start with sugar, real sugar and through a process, turn it into a no calorie sweetener. It passes through your body, without the body recognizing it is a carbohydrate, to it is not broken down and utilized for energy. The process takes sugar, replaces 3 hydrogen-oxygen groups with chlorine. They note that Sucralose does not have any side effects. It is not the cause of head aches, stomach issues or bloat. It does not affect the kidneys, the liver, or the Thymus. That 85% of what is ingested, leaves the body unaltered, and of the 15% that does get absorbed, most of it leaves within 24 hours.
Now for why I rant!
As with anything controversial, it is always hard to find truth on the internet. There is a product, that has millions of dollars spent on advertising. They, of course, can say in all their websites that everything is safe and fine. Then of course there is the other sweeteners that spend thousands if not millions on bashing the opposing sweetener. Should we trust people like JoLynn Braley from The Fit Shack? Many people do, most of what she is saying is true (if not all of it), Or Dr Mercola. Who has many many published articles. Do we trust the makers of Splenda themselves? Many people trust them too. There is of course, places like The Natural News, or the best article yet….Naked Food Cooking!
For me, I CAN taste it, and I DO get an almost instant headache. I DONT like the thought of chemically altered foods, (and yes I understand that cooking foods, alters it) I don’t like that it has only been around for 20years in Canada (1991).
The good, the bad, and the ugly of the internet is that you can research anything and get info. that is just that, good, bad or ugly! Some is true, some is not, but it is up to us to research and decide what is best for us and our bodies!
with that…I’m off to bed!